[Diy_efi] Jetronic - RFI - ABS gotchas

Tom Visel five10man
Mon Mar 6 16:46:11 UTC 2006

Brakes in general don't care about being pulsed, whether by foot or by
black box.

Pumps are only used on the higher-end systems, the kind that read and
control all four wheels.  The rear-wheel-only variety tends to use a
pressure accumulator and isolation and dump valves to control wheel
pressure.  A rear-ABS equipped vehicle may have a master cylinder with
more stroke available on its rear-brakes-feeding portion, but many such
vehicles get the same MCs for ABS and non-ABS.  Most ABS stops just
don't use that much fluid, unless you drive on ice all day, so the
easier-to-fit systems don't need a pump.

One gotcha is sensitivity to rust.  One tiny bit of the stuff, perched
next to the dump solenoid, will give a soft pedal AFTER and ABS stop.
Since the effect is so far divorced from the cause, one may never know
the damage one did by simply squeezing nasty brake fluid back up through
the system when relining one's brakes.  When cars/trucks with this sort
of difficulty come into my shop, it is a hard sell, trying to explain
the problem to the customer, unless they have a bit of hydraulic knowledge.

TomV