[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Mar 7 18:08:24 UTC 2006

There were some early cat-equipped cars that did not use closed-loop,
instead there were two catalyzers and a air injection connected between
them. The engine was tuned to operate with a slightly rich mixture
(always lambda < 1), so it would produce much HC and CO but not much NOx
emissions. The first catalyzer then effectively cracks the NOx, and the
second one, which operates with lean mixture due to the air injection,
will burn the HC and CO.
Of course, the two catalyzers often were combined to one unit with the
air injection tube connected at the middle.
This system was abandoned when gas became expensive in the early
eighties, as it gave bad fuel economy.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman