[Diy_efi] Holley projection questions

Tom Visel five10man
Fri Mar 10 14:36:41 UTC 2006

IDK about Pro-jection, but if they want .63V at closed throttle, that
sounds like a typical fool rejection setup, which would most likely
follow these general rules of behavior:
1. It wants about .5 volts at closed throttle, 4.5V at WOT.
2. If it sees close to the WOT value during cranking, it will go into
"clear-flood" mode, and cut the fuel way back, if not cease injection
altogether.
3. It looks at a change in TPS value (not necessarily a certain value)
to trigger the accelerator pump function or its equivalent.
4. Some systems (Including yours, I believe) ramp up fuel dramatically
as the TPS value nears WOT.
5. If the TPS value is too high with closed throttle, the ECM may not be
aware of the closed throttle and cause dying at idle or closed throttle
surging problems.

I would find out what Holley expects you to have for a TPS signal.  If
it is as described above, then the TPS wires (back probed at the TPS
with the connector plugged in) should have ground, signal, and 5V on
them.  The ground should be less then .050V.  If it is higher, fix your
grounds.  Check the ECM ground first; it most likely provides the ground
to the sensors.

With a known-good ground and 5V source, the TPS should read on your DVOM
or (better yet) graphing multimeter a clean sweep from about .5V at
closed throttle to about 4.5V at wide open throttle, with no dropouts or
spots where the signal is nonlinear.  If you have signal problems,
change the TPS.

If the TPS on your system is wonky and you cannot get another one
easily, you may wish to substitute a resistor (1/8 watt will do) which
tells the ECM that you are at 1/4 throttle.  That way, you can get most
of your driveability tuning done without the TPS interfering.

TomV