[Diy_efi] Bosch ignition coil

Tom Visel five10man
Fri Mar 24 01:51:03 UTC 2006

15 would be ISO standard for key-switched power, and 1 would be the coil
negative.  There is a whole set of standardized pin / circuit numbers
called DIN 72552 that define this stuff - just like pin 30 on an ISO
relay is the switch common contact and 87 is the normally open contact.
For a run-down on the most commonly seen circuit numbers, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552 .

Since you're describing a metal frame for the coil, are you installing
this on an HEI system?  If that's the case, higher secondary resistance
is not a big deal, but it does mean less total spark output is
available.  Not a big deal in general, but might bite you if you run
lean, high RPM, or under boost.

If your vehicle is eating coils via arc-through, you have either (1)
been buying some really crappy flea-market coils or (2) a secondary
ignition problem.  My money is on #2.  The reason for electrons jumping
through the coil housing to the frame is that they found it easier to do
that than to travel through your wires, cap and rotor, and then jump
your spark plug gap.  This might be due to a really bad coil design.
More likely, it is a secondary ignition problem.

If there is high resistance in the wires, or a wide gap in the plugs, or
a very lean mixture (or poor mixture motion due to bad chamber mods,) or
a big crusty gap to jump in the distributor, this will create a higher
spark demand.  In other words, it will take more voltage to push through
the stacked-up resistances in the system and then jump the plug gap.
The coil will provide this higher voltage, up to the limits of its and
the module's ability to do so.  **Here's the tricky part**  If there is
a poorly insulated spot in the system - like in the coil housing, for
instance - it will not stand up to this increased voltage.  The
electrons will "leak" out at the weak spot, you will hear a snapping
sound, and your engine will have a misfire.  The coil may be fine for
normal operations, but failing when put under the stress of an unusual
situation.  Once this starts happening, it becomes an easier and easier
path for the spark energy to follow, until only the wires/plugs that are
absolutely perfect see any spark at all.

Another thing to be on the lookout for is a dying ignition module.  I
know you've replaced it already, but the new one has had to deal with
the increased spark demand for ____ [only you know how long.]  All of
the increased energy that the coil has had to put out - the higher
voltage that caused its untimely demise - has also traveled through the
module's power transistors.  As these transistors switch the increased
current on and off, they build up heat, leading to their early death.
Unless you have next-to-zero hours on that module with the current
ignition system (coil, plugs, wires,) I wouldn't trust it for a road
trip.  Of course, your appetite for adventure (and your wife/sig-o's)
may vary.

TomV