[Diy_efi] Bosch ignition coil

David Allen davida1
Fri Mar 24 05:12:22 UTC 2006

  Thanks for the info on DIN 72552.
  As for the iginition system in general; it's a remote-coil HEI.  The
resistance of the coil-to-cap lead is 12K, and the plug leads range from 10K
to 13K depending on length. The cap and rotor had evidence of cap/ rotor
interference but the contacts were clean and the rotor tip wasn't broken
off.  I replaced both as a set.  The plugs are Bosch Platinum (original; not
multi-tip etc..) gapped at .045". Engine is a 305 running about 10:1
compression normally aspirated.  There haven't been performance issues
betwen coil failures.
  With each coil I replaced the cap and rotor shortly after and tested the
wires, suspecting the high secondary resistance issue you describe. I've
never had a module outright fail on this car. The new one on there now was
purchased as a replacement for one I had to "borrow" to get my other car
running.
  I think the coil quality may be the problem.  The last couple times the
coil has died I have been on the road and had to locate a local parts place
to buy a coil. The choices have been limited.  Will see how this one holds
up.
  Thanks for the ideas. I do have a great apetite for adventure and no wife
to worry about so I will let the module stay for now! :-)
  I plan to measure the peak primary voltage and see how this is affected by
changing to non-platinum plugs.  I remember a thread where someone was
concerned they were damaging plug wires by use of platinum spark plugs. It
sounded far-fetched but you never know.
Later,
David