[Diy_efi] Early-mid 1990's Bosch BMW Motorcycle Motronic Info?

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Wed May 17 16:51:19 UTC 2006

Many systems from the mid 80's have a crankshaft sensor that gives just
one or two impulses for each revolution to the ECU. Usually, that
impulse is located 45 ? BTDC or something, i.e. slightly before the
earliest possible ignition timing. I have no experience of Motronic
systems before about 1987 but it is very likely that those earlier
Motronic use the same signalling as Bosch's microprocessor controlled
ignition systems of that age (for example, EZ-L and EZ-K).
One easy way to check if it really is a Motronic system is to read the
Bosch part number of the ECU. If it begins with 0 261, then it is a
Motronic system. Injection-only (Jetronic) systems begin with 0 280, and
ignition-only (EZ-x) begin with 0 227.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman