[Diy_efi] GM 2.8/3.1 DIS ignition bench stimulation, the software solution

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai
Fri May 19 19:09:24 UTC 2006

Just in case somebody else needs this info in the future:

The answer to my questions if a PC soundcard output was enough to trigger a GM
2.8/3.1 "6+1" (6 each 60deg appart & sync at +10deg) trigger pattern DIS module,
is :  yes!

The module requires quite a strong trigger signal.
Mine started sparking at almost the full volume of my laptop's earphones
output.
I wrote a quick, dirty and ugly program (C, Linux, ALSA, GPL) to generate the
pulse pattern at (near) any desired simulated RPM. If anybody wants it, its
at:
http://www.sokorai.cl/GMcrank_sim.c

So, the reason my module is not working in my retrofit, is because the BMW TDC
sensor is not able to produce strong enough pulses.
I think a little opamp circuit can help me to solve this.

--
Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.