[Diy_efi] Re: small engine spark timing

James W. Harris HARRIS_JAMES_W
Thu Nov 9 19:02:39 UTC 2006

>If this Kohler is like mine (16hp K34(?) in a 310 Bobcat) the timing is
>set by the point gap and the adjustment is very touchy, must be done
>with the engine running as opposed to a feeler gauge. A little reduction
>in timing can result in a noticeably large loss of power also.

I've got a Kohler in a Cub Cadet 129 and have found Bob's comments to be
right on!!!!  The point cam must have a slow ramp, because a very, very
small adjustment makes a difference in no-start / kickback on starting /
no power / power improves as the engine warms up.  A crank triggered
system on this engine would be able to provide a big improvement, but who
knows how much power these typically splash lubricated engines can
tolerate.

Could use single chip HC11, my homemade controller might be a good
starting point:

http://personal.myvine.com/~jhlh/

So many machines, so little time!

JW