[Diy_efi] Re: small engine spark timing

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Fri Nov 10 16:53:15 UTC 2006

For many years, i have thought about some simple kind of ignition
advance on cheap small engines. But of course it must be a very simple
system, free from the "Rolls Royce syndrome". One possible way would be
making a simple CDI system using the primary winding of the original
flywheel magneto ignition coil for charging the capacitor (probably via
an external transformer or DCDC converter). Then, two inductive pickups
for triggering the thyristor, one for a late ignition timing for
starting and one for an earlier fixed timing which is used when the
engine is running. A good idea of how to arrange the inductive pickups
can be taken from Briggs&Stratton's breakerless ignition system.
As those engines usually have a high idle rpm (typically 1500-1800), the
switchover should take place slightly below normal idle (perhaps
1000-1200 rpm).

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman