[Diy_efi] engine convresion

Steven P. Donegan steve
Mon Nov 20 02:47:55 UTC 2006

Almost sad when you think about it - my 1998 LS1 V8 gets 22 MPG around
town and has seen 35 or so MPG on trips - likely about twice the HP of
that 6 :-) Of course that car has a 6 speed manual tranny with 2
overdrives (.85 and .5) and likely weighs a bit less than your 87.

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 21:38 -0500, Jason M. wrote:
> Think you mis-read that, the 2.8 ECU will keep up with a 3.4L.  Maybe not
> clear, you stick a 2.8L electronics* on a 3.4L engine without tuning it
> "should" run well.
>
> *2.8L electronics = MAF not speed density.
>
> btw, I used to own a 2.8L powered 87 camaro.  had all the power a young kid
> should have, enough to get sideways going around corners, chirp the tires at
> the 1-2 shift or 2-1 downshift for acceleration (700r4 automatic).  beating
> the hell out of it, it'd still get 22 mpg.  Sold it to a friend about 6
> years ago, he got 36mpg highway with it.   Still have the original engine
> (long story) and a set of front wheel drive heads that I intend to put on it
> one day.  Using some numbers I found on the net a few years back it should
> be somewhere in the 14.5-15:1 compression range.  Don't have the time, money
> or a vehicle to put such and engine in so it will have to wait.  I'm also
> pretty sure the engine will end up scattering itself with the cast
> internals.

"Each new law makes only a single guarantee. It will create new
criminals."-- John Tandervold