[Diy_efi] Rich detonation?

Mike niche
Mon Nov 20 07:47:30 UTC 2006

At 03:23 PM 11/20/06, you wrote:
>The richer the mix the faster the burn.  The leaner the mix the slower the burn.  It is all about ignition timing, however the source of detonation aside from improper timing is from poor quality fuel or fuel not suited for a specific compression ratio.  Poor fuel combined with hot spots in the combustion chamber results in pre-ignition.  I'm not really sure what you mean by "rich detonation".  The whole engine is a system... all the parts and processes must match.

Thats what I want clarified.  I've been interested in  EFI for 20 years and have
an engineering background in that field since EFI was my subject at uni in 1982,
I appreciate the systems aspect but not heard of this so called "rich detonation"
being any sort of issue, even worth touting as any problem, I also havent heard
of a richer mixture burning that much faster than a lean mixture, well within the bounds of normal range one encounters for road use and in that respect,
although its sensible to conclude it would burn a little faster but I have not heard
of tuning shops advancing the timing by anything significant if at all when
mapping for a richer mixture from say 12.5:1 to 11:1 to squeeze out a bit more
power so in that range I am wondering how much would be gained advancing
the timing by say 1deg if its only for the issue of burn speed vs some other
factor in the system overall such as a richer mixture cooling the charge can
allow for less chance of detonation etc

So in addition to the original post - you have raised another query I'd
like clarified:-

Just how much faster does the mixture burn if it goes from say 14:1 to
11:1 is there a graph that is specific to this relationship which isnt
complicated by average temperature rise in chamber etc  *and* why
doesnt it appear that tuning shops advance the timing map (at least a little) when running richer mixtures assuming they are already using the optimum
fuel for that engine configuration.

My post arose as a result of responding to this post by Joseph Obernberger
who started the topic with the same subject line:-