[Diy_efi] Hot-film MAF sensor of about 3" OD?

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Mon Nov 20 14:16:38 UTC 2006

In working with one of the old 6801-based NipponDenso
ECUs, I'd like to get rid of the vane-type AFM (aka
the "flapper"); seems like the easiest way to do that
would be to install a MAF sensor in its place, and
adding a simple analog circuit so the MAF output would
follow the response curve of the original AFM.

Can anyone recommend an uni-directional hot-film MAF
that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3" (~80 mm)
OD for the flanges?  If I know what vehicles came with
something of that nature, I could go picking through
junkyards for my prototype of an improved box.

Anyone who has MPU experience is welcome to join the
convo here; I am also wanting to create a USB/serial
interface with the ECU that will allow flash
remapping, real-time sensor feeds (with data-logging
capability with a laptop), and ideally, a
"emulator"-style real-time remapping facility.
However, it looks like the 6801 does not have enough
I/O or clock speed to support that, and rewriting the
runtime code for a different, newer processor,
especially if there are events dictated by counting
MPU clock cycles, is going to prove a challenge not
worth sorting.  However, I can at least force the 6801
to read an outboard EPROM (through masking, I
believe), so I can remap via "burning" EPROMs and
installing them on the board.  Getting rid of the
flapper is also a primary objective...

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre