[Diy_efi] Evaporative fuel injection (evolution of the evap carby)

Ben P benof1987
Wed Nov 22 10:11:21 UTC 2006

Hi people, after reading through all of the 'instant fuel economy' sites I
could find on the net (except stuff like hi-clone), I thought of an idea I
would like you guys to have a think about (and then go on to poke the s***
out of it). Also, whats the deal with these carby mesh systems? My dad's
telstar (aka Mazda 626) had a heated mesh under the carby, and it went like
a cut snake, but I am unsure of fuel economy.

Evaporative Carby Evolution

The typical evaporative carby heats the fuel to a gas, which then mixes with
the air-stream better than a conventional jet/discharge nozzle combination
would. One major advantage of this type of carburettor (apart from
apparently huge economy benifits, which would be there, but maybe not so
dramatic) is the ability to run on pretty much any hydrocarbon fuel, this
includes (filtered) used crank case oil, if the carby heats enough. The only
real disdvantages of this carby are a loss of power (hot air tends to do
that), and if the carby isnt heated enough, 'lighter' parts of the fuel go
first (giving an impression of huge mileage), then the heavier parts boil
much later, giving

My idea involves feeding fuel to a heated block (200-300 degrees, maybe
hotter depending on fuel), which would effectively instantly boil all of its
components and feed the fuel vapour into the intake stream, prefferably in a
multipoint configuration. The fuel going to the heated block would be
controlled by a pulsed valve much like an injector, but just controlling
flow, not spraying the fuel as well (proper design of the heated block
should negate the need for that).

As an addition, water could also be added to the block to keep it clean,
prevent detonation, and keep the engine clean. Although this would mean the
blocks would need more heat input to mainain the same temperature.

The only disadvantages I can see apart from the slight loss of power are a
high current draw (if the blocks are electrically heated, the only way to
get them hot on a cold start), and if the blocks are not electrically
heated, the problem of what to do while the engine is cold (before the
exhaust manifold gets hot enough to draw heat from.

thoughts people?