[Diy_efi] Early Mitsubishi EFI tuning

The AirHawk airhawk
Sun Oct 8 15:56:10 UTC 2006

> Ok another question about tuning an old manufacturers computer...
>
> The first of the fuel injection systems on the Mitsubishi Magna's were attached to the FWD version
> of the ASTRON II engine, and I also believe that they had that awful Karman-Vortex air-flow meter
> with a frequency output instead of a voltage.
>
> The first series of questions are:
>
> Can these computers be remapped? And if they can, how is it done?

Try here:
http://dsm-ecu.com/
Or here:

If your Magna uses the OBDI-type eprom ECU, as used in '90-'94 DSMs (Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi
Eclipse, Plymouth Laser)with the 4G63 engine, you'll probably find your answer. If your ECU is
different, they might be able to point you in the correct direction. There are a LOT of very
knowledgeable individuals on the yahoo-group message board.

A word of warning: the yahoo-group will be most helpful in getting you going, but they have little
tolerance for "Hey somebody send me a file!" or "Would somebody code this so I can install this
widget on my car" kind of "requests". They'll help you, help yourself. (not that I think you'll do
that, I just wanted to put out a general warning about it)

> I have heard of various early computers using the EPROM chips, would they use this? And if they
> do, does anyone possess a program that can convert the file from the eprom dump into a magageable
> form (such as the TunerCat for GM computers)?

There are a few programs tailored for the DSM-ECU on the yahoo-groups site. You'll have to join for
more details.

> And the last question is simple, has anyone heard of an interceptor being successfully used on
> this computer?
>
> the reason behind asking all of this: A friend is building an early RWD Lancer, with a
> turbocharged 2.6L Astron engine, and has an injected magna that he is putting the turbo kit on
> first, just to make sure everything runs.

Sorry, interceptor? Are you talking of an auxilliary fueling computer?

> thanks
> Ben

N.P.

-Scott C.