[Diy_efi] BMW/Siemens stratified direct injection, link

Mike niche
Fri Oct 20 05:46:37 UTC 2006

At 11:30 AM 10/20/06, you wrote:
>On Friday 20 October 2006 01:55, Mike wrote:
>> For the technically minded ;-)
>>
>> <http://www.siemensvdo.com/press/releases/powertrain/2006/SV_200604_002_e.htm>
>
>Hmmm... don't see much technical content.

Hence the 'wink' in my email, <doh>

>You may be able to see more by visiting a co-developer a little to
>the North of your location, Mike. :-)

Yes we know about 'them', turned down a job with them in mid 80's,
glad I did, three people I know who joined them, all left remonstrating
huge issues with management. An independent contractor who had
his fuel saving system 'checked' by them had it sabotaged, clear cut
case of hoses with pin hole leaks arranged to point to exhaust etc
Have irrefutable evidence of this sadly...

>Piezo-triggered unit-injectors for diesel engines have been shipping
>for a while now in Europe. The former VW-Mechatronic.com web site
>used to have some technical details of those units, but that site
>also now redirects to SiemensVDO.
><http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:rnLBbptNhzEJ:www.vw-mechatronic.com/page/produkt_piezo.htm>

Yes, the point about the article is that is petrol and pintle adjustable for
each cylinder, Eaton did have piezo injectors around 30 years ago, still
have the blurb somewhere circa 1977,

>This is a worrying trend: Instead of the WWW providing ready access
>to technical information from the manufacturer, it's beginning to be
>filtered out and reduced to glossy brochures.  They won't talk to
>you unless you're buying ~10,000 units/month because that's not
>"cost-effective".
>
>So the small innovator is diverted from a primary goal to having to
>re-invent lots of wheels. e.g. diesel injectors capable of metering
>down to around 1 mg/stroke. [Which btw the VW-Mechatronic site said
>it'd achieve with the piezo unit injector. NO specs @ SiemensVDO.]

Not at all, though it does dissuade those without the combination of focus
and funds, it doesnt stop those who have a plan and for those that dont
have a plan it doesnt stop you if you are suitably enthusiastic to procure
the part and put it to the appropriate regimes of tests ?

*grin*

Mike