[Diy_efi] BMW/Siemens stratified direct injection, link

Bernd Felsche bernie
Tue Oct 24 23:47:30 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 13:46, Mike wrote:
> At 11:30 AM 10/20/06, you wrote:
> >On Friday 20 October 2006 01:55, Mike wrote:
> >> For the technically minded ;-)
> >>
> >> <http://www.siemensvdo.com/press/releases/powertrain/2006/SV_200604_00
> >>2_e.htm>
> >
> >Hmmm... don't see much technical content.

> Hence the 'wink' in my email, <doh>

> >Piezo-triggered unit-injectors for diesel engines have been shipping
> >for a while now in Europe. The former VW-Mechatronic.com web site
> >used to have some technical details of those units, but that site
> >also now redirects to SiemensVDO.
> ><http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:rnLBbptNhzEJ:www.vw-mechatronic.com
> >/page/produkt_piezo.htm>
>
> Yes, the point about the article is that is petrol and pintle
> adjustable for each cylinder, Eaton did have piezo injectors
> around 30 years ago, still have the blurb somewhere circa 1977,

The piezo stack is a key element and appears to be very similar to
that in the PPD.

> >So the small innovator is diverted from a primary goal to having to
> >re-invent lots of wheels. e.g. diesel injectors capable of metering
> >down to around 1 mg/stroke. [Which btw the VW-Mechatronic site said
> >it'd achieve with the piezo unit injector. NO specs @ SiemensVDO.]

> Not at all, though it does dissuade those without the combination of
> focus and funds, it doesnt stop those who have a plan and for those that
> dont have a plan it doesnt stop you if you are suitably enthusiastic to
> procure the part and put it to the appropriate regimes of tests ?
>
> *grin*

Suitably enthusiastic to buy a part at $2000 each, without the ECU?
I assume that "suitably" also means that one be well financed by
other means.

Or perhaps you mean suitably enthusiastic to break into cars and to
steal the parts..

Perhaps it'd be far too straightforward for manufacturers to publish
the specifications of the devices that they sell instead of
encouraging vehicle theft! ;-)

\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "If we let things terrify us,
 X   against HTML mail     |  life will not be worth living."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.