[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Bernd Felsche bernie
Wed Sep 6 03:25:09 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 11:00, Steve Ravet wrote:

> I'm willing to be convinced that VW and MB are unloading their crappy
> diesels over here, saving their clean ones for Europeans.  I know cars

The problem is the diesel fuel. Until the diesel gets clean enough
to run through the modern injection systems, the older,
distributor-pump and solenoid common-rail systems are the best
thing available for use on the continent.

The fuel is going to get cleaner shortly, IIRC within a year or two.

Australia got sufficiently clean (ULS) diesel about two years ago
and diesel car sales have rocketed, especially since the ~50%
increase in fuel prices at the pump over the same period. European
turbo-diesels, be they unit-injector or common-rail are very
popular. The next generation of diesel injectors, piezo-electric are
just coming on-stream now in Europe with lower emissions, improved
driveability and lower "diesel" noise.

Particulate filters are available on a range of European
turbo-diesels as an option. Some European governments provide tax
benefits when working filters are fitted.

BTW: modern diesels use (perhaps cooled) EGR to reduce combustion
temperatures and hence the formation of NOx. Remaining NOx can be
"trapped" by storage catalysts that are purged periodically by a
short "rich" cycle. An oxydation catalyst converts HC and CO from
periodic/partial rich running, to water and CO2.

> have to meet emissions standards over there, who can point us to the
> agency that does certification, and their online results?

You cannot mix-n-match emissions measured according to different
standards. The EU driving cycle is very different to the US EPA's.
See your Bosch Automotive Handbook.