[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed Sep 6 04:01:59 UTC 2006

--- Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> Well you should probably check up on that before
> commenting more because
> to summarise:

> CO2 is 30-40% lower
> CO is nonexistant

> NOx is essentially the same in a modern diesel over
> the lifetime of the car

That doesn't seem to be the case compared to gasoline
engines:
<http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/big_rig_cleanup/diesel-engines-and-public-health.html>

"Diesel engines emit large quantities of particulate
matter (called PM) and nitrogen oxides (NOx), the
latter a precursor to particulates and smog.
Collectively, diesel-powered vehicles account for
nearly half of all nitrogen oxides and more than
two-thirds of all particulates from US
transportation."

> HC is nonexistant

> Particulates whilst there is more, is in larger
> particles more easily handles by the body.

These two statements contradict each other.  Soot is
made of H/C/O particulate; therefore HC cannot be
non-existent if there is soot (and there is plenty in
diesels -- more than 10x as much as with gasoline
engines given today's emissions standards in the US).

<http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/big_rig_cleanup/life-of-soot-diesel-pollution-emissions-and-health-effects.html>

As to the particulates not being as bad for you, that
does not seem to be the case, either:
<http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/big_rig_cleanup/sick-of-soot-solutions-to-californias-diesel-pollution.html>

"Diesel soot, or particulate matter (PM), is a
dangerous pollutant that can penetrate deep into the
lungs. People exposed to diesel soot can suffer from
severe respiratory and cardiovascular illnesses,
chronic bronchitis, cancer, and premature death."

"In 2000, the California Air Resources Board (CARB)
estimated that diesel PM was responsible for 70
percent of the state?s risk of cancer from airborne
toxics (CARB, 2000c)...  In 2004 alone, diesel
pollution will cause an estimated 3,000 premature
deaths in California?greater than the estimated 2,300
annual homicides in the state.  In addition, diesel
exhaust will cause an estimated 2,700 cases of chronic
bronchitis and about 4,400 hospital admissions
(including emergency room, or ER, visits) for
cardiovascular and respiratory illnesses every year.
The cost of these health impacts is $21.5 billion per
year."

Also, great informational source found at
<http://www.swri.org/3pubs/ttoday/Spring06/PDFs/Particulars.pdf>

It shows that the main particulate base is composed ot
nanoparticles between 10-40 nm in diameter; various
processes then agglomerate these with moisture, etc.
to form larger particles.  However, it would appear
that there are still plenty of the smaller particles,
especially when there is not an abundance of excess HC
(full-throttle operation); this would make those who
live near freeways in additional danger due to the
high levels of nanoparticles emitted when compared to
automobile exhaust (see the next PDF link for
confirmation of this suspicion of mine).  The graphs,
by the way, show nanoparticles as being nearly 50% of
the tailpipe emissions of current diesel engines,
which I would say make them a significant concern when
compared to the much lower soot numbers for
gasoline-powered vehicles.

"All particles emitted from diesel engines are in the
respirable size range. The greatest numbers of
particles tend to concentrate in the ?ultrafine? range
of 3?100 nm in diameter..."

Obviously a Powerpoint presentation without most of
what would pass for text in an article, but still with
some useful info, especially in the graphs:
<http://www.osti.gov/fcvt/deer2005/mcdonald.pdf>

"Exposure Atmospheres in Both Cases were Mostly Gases
and Vapors (urban legends suggest otherwise)"

As I'd mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot depends
on what emissions you're speaking of.
Gasoline-powered ICEs have far higher concentrations
of volatile organics in the exhaust, ones that are
extremely hazardous to air-breathing creatures; "With
the exception of select classes of organics, the
gasoline atmosphere has much higher volatile organics,
including ?air toxics?".

So, ultimately, it's a thorny issue, and not an easy
one to address is any simple terms.  Diesels have been
allowed much more lax emissions regs, and therefore
are producing far more emissions (this is USA data,
not Europe).  There's a REASON the feds are mandating
a 90% reduction in emissions for diesels starting next
year; it's because they pollute so damned much, and
have had so little emissions technology applied to
them at this point in mass production.

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |