[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it? - Seams filling up again ?

Bobby Yates Emory liberty1
Fri Sep 8 05:27:15 UTC 2006

Berend,

Comments with +++++++++++++

On 9/7/06, Bernd Felsche <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On Thursday 07 September 2006 18:28, Mike wrote:
> > At 06:15 PM 9/7/06, you wrote:
> > >Most of us dont live underground in oily caverns.
>
> > There seems to be more anecdotal evidence these (early) caverns
> > are slowly filling up with more oil, not just from the seams
> > bleeding out due to the removal of the primary oil by reduction in
> > pressure but other factors.
>
> It'd produce more oil to use algae in sunlight to produce oils for
> production of biodiesels. The unesterfied oil is equivalent to
> vegetable oils as a fuel. If the engine is built to burn such oils,
> then no further processing is required.
>
> Esterfication produces a biodiesel, suitable for use in common
> diesel engines.
>
> One "feed stock" for the process is flue gas from coal-/oil-fired
> power station, bubbled through ponds of selected algae.

++++++++++++++++++++
Many people have suggested using flue gas, but it is not necessary.  (It
will increase growth, but is not required.)

The
> biodiesel yield from the aquaculture is about 7 times higher per
> unit area than for agricultural stocks such as soya beans.

++++++++++++++++++++
The projections based on lab results are many times higher - even better
yields.

 The CO2
> sequestration cycle by algae is a matter of days; not even months.
> Roughly 80% of the CO2 is typically captured by the algae.
>
> The other feed stock is brack water from sewage treatment.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm confused - I thought brackish meant between seawater and freshwater.
Partially treated sewage would be vile, but not salty.  Or, did I miss
something?   Some people have suggested doing a methane digestion on the
sewage (animal or human) in order to kill pathogens.

One complication is that the algae require sunlight to convert the
> CO2; so flue gas emitted overnight needs to be stored until there is
> enough light for the algae to start metabolising.

+++++++++++++++++++
Greenfuels reported some mitigation even in darkness, so it might not be
necessary to store overnight.

Optimised control
> of the process would require some sort of storage and reservoir of
> CO2 anyway.
>
> Some types of algae will "burst" and lose their lipids (oils) when
> starved of CO2; which you don't want to happen until you're ready to
> harvest.

+++++++++++++++++
Are any of these species heavy producers of oil?

More resilient types of algae require more intensive
> processing, mechanical or chemical, in order to harvest the lipids
> within their cell wall.

or:

*http://tinyurl.com/lk9pg

*Bobby

Lots of research done in the past.
> e.g.    http://www.fao.org/docrep/w7241e/w7241e0h.htm
>
> --
> /"\ Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
> \ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
> X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
> / \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.

Toward freedom,

Bobby Yates Emory