[Diy_efi] Mopar tuning?

The AirHawk airhawk
Fri Sep 15 03:07:51 UTC 2006

> Kludge what together?  You already have everything you need with
> the '747 setup on the engine now.  You don't need anything from
> Custom EFIS at all - just the sensors and controls that are already on
> your engine.

Even though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mopar man, I have to agree with Scott here, - you've got
well-hac'd ECM, with documentation available all over the web. Most of the sensors needed are very
nearly the same as the Mopar stuff (or can be interchanged with little swearing). There's something
like 10 million-billion-gazillion GM computers in salvage yards out there - and a lot of them are
"cross-platform, cross-engine family"; so you don't have to come up with say a Corvette ECM if you
have a breakdown (especially if you're doing a little hac'n to fit your application better).

In fact, I was seriously considering a GM-ECM for my pet project - 'til MegaSquirt came along. The
idea of "building everything myself from the ground UP" just spoke to my inner gearhead too loudly,
or I'd have followed-through.

There is absolutely no advantage to backsliding to the Mopar PCM. And a damn-sight lot of
DIS-advantages.

-Scott Creech