[Diy_efi] Haltech Data Logging

Mike niche
Tue Sep 19 14:04:25 UTC 2006

I have an MSC-FD2M which is a floppy disk to Memory stick adaptor
and it works fine on Win98se, I think the device is now obsolete but can
be found in some Sony shops, on ebay or the odd tech s/h shop.

ie. Plug in memory stick (in my case 16, 64 or 128megs) into adaptor,
place adaptor into floppy drive,
Access the floppy drive from the Windows Explorer menu and it correctly
handles the memory stick capacity but as a flash drive.

It does however, require that one load a driver for the adaptor first but
seems most reliable. The install s/w says it works down to Win 95.

Another option, especially if your screen is an LCD or good CRT is to
use a digital camera on a small tripod taking a pot shot of the screen,
though you might want to select longer exposure for CRT to avoid frames.
I have regularly used this with a Sony 4Meg pixel camera and a 18"
LCD and the result is almost as good as a screen dump. With a jpeg
cut and paste/editor etc you can extract graphs, tables and even use an
OCR front end from a scanner - though I havent used that part much.

I have even taken screen dumps this way from an HP1631A/D logic analyser
of 1985 vintage with its green CRT and the result is very usable :)

Rgds

Mike