[Diy_efi] Intake Manifold choices SBC carb to TBI conversion

Mike sonoma
Sun Sep 24 18:38:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

Well I finally decided the carb must go and be replaced. Time to convert my 350 chev from a 4bbl carb to TBI

I'm thinking of using a stock GM TBI intake 87-91 on my 83 Chev, I will have to modify the two bolt holes to make it fit, but it will have stock locations for coolant temp etc and hopefully it will be a neater looking installation.

My only concern is heat on the TBI intake which I believe is cast aluminum, this motor is in a motorhome it doesn't over heat but it still gets pretty hot climbing hills in a 10,500LB G series van chassis.

Anyone had any problems with alum intakes because of heat in there motorhomes or tow vehicles

I would like to use a stock TBI intake with or without spacer or an edelbrock TBI intake, instead of the cast iron QJet manifold with an adapter plate.

The vehicle isn't required to have emissions testing and didn't have an EGR valve from the factory.  I may run an EGR valve but haven't decided yet.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

Mike.