[Diy_efi] WIN 98 USB

Geoff Harrison geoff_h
Mon Sep 25 22:24:45 UTC 2006

Good question Ian, I should have qualified my statement.
Having 10 years exp in the IT industry, including 5 years
with a large retailer supporting HP, IBM, Packard Bell / NEC
Acer, Compucon, as well as generic systems, dating back to
1988, (I learnt on 286s) I have seen many main boards.

Quite a number of SIS and VIA based mainboards manufactured
around 99 have had faulty USB ports, ranging from dead,
intermittently
dead, and working on some devices but not others. Otherwise
the boards are fine.
Intel chipset boards don't appear to have the same issue.
IIRC, the problem was with USB ver1. USB ver1.1 was more
"univerversal"

Oh and my Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT (1999) has issues with
large data transfers via usb - ethernet. Web browsing is fine,
but
fails to download a large file.
Geoff Harrison IT Services.
Port Macquarie  NSW.