[Diy_efi] 928/749

Paul Bidmead bidmeadp
Tue Aug 21 02:41:59 UTC 2007

it will give you boosted spark as the msd will drive the coil directly
with its own internal driver altho if your having trouble with the spark
distribution this may not actuall fix the problem moreso than simply
mask it

have you tried replacing the rotor and cap as it is possible that there
is still a problem internally - i had a similar problem with my 4.1l
cortina there was some evidence of flashover internally to the
distributor housing which was unseen at first inspection

Bill Shaw wrote:
> Well,  a new coil helped some but didn't cure the problem.  It will
> start and run now but is still dropping spark intermittently in a
> couple of cylinders.  The pulses from the ignition module to fire the
> coil are nice and steady,  don't miss a beat.  Using the timing light
> on a couple of the plug wires shows erratic firing. It's starting to
> look like something in the distributor now,  but I can't imagine
> what.  The rotor and cap look find and check out OK with an ohmmeter.
> I was thinking about changing to a different ignition controller,
> maybe something like a MSD 6.  Multiple sparks might be of some
> benefit,  but the MSD really won't give me a stronger spark than using
> the GM 7 pin module,  will it?  The spark is generated by the coil,
> not the module,  so I'll get the same voltage won't I?
>
> Bill
> Still not sparking on all 8

Regards.
Paul Bidmead
Automated Test Engineer
Omnitronics P/L
PH: (08) 9445 6800
Fax: (08) 9445 1687
Mob: 0404 259 733

The information in this e-mail is intended for the addressee only.
Unauthorised use, copying, disclosure or distribution by anyone else
is prohibited. Please let us know immediately if you receive this
e-mail in error. Thank you.