[Diy_efi] GM Fuel Pump / Tank Options

J M galaxiecustom500
Sun Aug 26 21:45:28 UTC 2007

Replies after original text:

> Anyone have a resource for various DIA's and bends
> of fuel filler hose?

I did a little internet searching, didn't find much
that would help. As far as someone selling pre formed
hoses.  You can buy polyethylene tubes from McMaster
(what the gas tank is made from) It's a thermo plastic
so you should be able to heat it to bend it but it
might be hard to keep it from closing off on a tight
bend.

Alternativly with a plastic welding kit you should be
able to add a fuel fill bung on the other side of the
tank.  Actually the tank material is likely more then
thick enough that a brass fitting would be able to
thread in.  Then get a short piece of viton hose to
connect that fitting to your stock filler neck.

> Issue 2) The Plymouth tank is essentially the
> perfect depth to adapt the
> Z-28 pump, but only if I can find the correct lock
> ring base to weld in.
> The lock ring has an ID of 3.5", and the pump gasket
> has an ID of 4.125" and
> an OD of 4.5"  If I can find a steel GM tank that
> uses this size of pump
> bulkhead, I can cut that part out and weld it in to
> my Plymouth tank
> relatively easily.  Naturally, you'd think that a
> steel tank from a Z-28
> would do the trick, but the steel tanks appear to
> have the swirl pot built
> in to the floor of the tank, not the pump like the
> 99+ LS-1 Camaros did.
>
> Anyone out there know of a similarly-sized pump
> bulkhead that might do what
> I need?

I've never measured, but that sounds similar to the
tank opening from a 80's caprice.  Probably about
everything GM in the 80's as well.

Also you could probably just make one.  The lock ring
method might be hard to fabricate on your own, but a
studed fitting would be easier.  The later
caprices/impalas had one.  Had studes in the tank, the
sending unit was sandwhiched between the tank and a
metal ring.

Another alternative, if you have a realatively flat
area on that plymouth tank where you could cut out the
sending unit bulkhead from the camaro tank, get some
viton or polyethylene sheet to make a gasket and then
bolt the plastic part down to the plymouth tank.
Maybe weld a flat panel to the top of the tank?  As
for the viton gasket, you could also use the black
rubber/fiber material most parts stores have as long
as it's not in constant contact with gasoline.

Not that familiar with the car you are working on but
to me the best option sounds like using the camaro
tank, loosing a bit of spare tire well, and making a
new fuel filler bung on the tank for the stock filler
neck.

good luck,

Jason.