[Diy_efi] GM Fuel Pump / Tank Options

Clair Davis clair.davis
Sun Aug 26 19:00:08 UTC 2007

Been a while since I had anything to add or ask regarding my Mopar/GM hybrid
EFI setup... life caught up with me in spite of my best efforts.  However,
in trying to get the momentum going again, I stirred up yet another project
for myself - adapting a 2001 Camaro Z-28 (LS-1) fuel tank to my Plymouth.

Now before you start laughing, they are closer in physical appearance than
you'd think off the top of your head, once you turn the GM tank around
backwards from it's natural orientation in the Camaro.  It's a plastic tank,
which I like from a zero rust standpoint, and the fuel pump (my real
concern) is a thing of beauty from a performance & packaging standpoint.
The pump assembly includes a built-in swirl pot that collects return fuel
from the regulator (which is part of the pump ass'y), and it also includes a
"jet" that uses a venturi-effect to fill the pot when the fuel level is
below the top of the pot.  This should all but eliminate my need for the
separate surge tank and lift pump setup I have now, so I'm looking at ways
to get this pump ass'y in to my car.

Issue 1) the Z-28 tank is obviously not shaped JUST LIKE my Plymouth A-body
tank.  The Plymouth tank is left-hand fill, and has a huge cut-out to fit
around the spare tire well under the trunk floor pan.  The Plymouth tank is
situated between the rear axle and the spare tire well.  To make the plastic
Z-28 tank fit, I'll have to sacrifice part of my spare tire well, which I
could live with.  The more difficult part will be setting up the left hand
fill to reach the right hand side of the tank, or converting the car to
right hand fill.  I'm less inclined to convert the car to right hand fill.

Anyone have a resource for various DIA's and bends of fuel filler hose?

Issue 2) The Plymouth tank is essentially the perfect depth to adapt the
Z-28 pump, but only if I can find the correct lock ring base to weld in.
The lock ring has an ID of 3.5", and the pump gasket has an ID of 4.125" and
an OD of 4.5"  If I can find a steel GM tank that uses this size of pump
bulkhead, I can cut that part out and weld it in to my Plymouth tank
relatively easily.  Naturally, you'd think that a steel tank from a Z-28
would do the trick, but the steel tanks appear to have the swirl pot built
in to the floor of the tank, not the pump like the 99+ LS-1 Camaros did.

Anyone out there know of a similarly-sized pump bulkhead that might do what
I need?

Any other ideas or comments are welcome as well, as I'm obviously not locked
in to either of these options, just wanting to use the particular pump
somehow is the goal.

Thanks in advance,

Clair
69 Valiant 7730MPI