[Diy_efi] Progress

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Sat Feb 24 17:13:09 UTC 2007

--- "Steven P. Donegan" <steve at donegan.org> wrote:

> And the 'small as a pack of cigarette comment was
> for you and Adam :-)
> as well as the rest of us with motorcycles we would
> like to EFI ...

I have so many small projects I sometimes don't
connect the dots as quickly as I should.  I sourced a
set of R6 throttle bodies a while back, with MAP
sensor and injectors, with the idea to fuel inject my
Zephyr (people are ALWAYS asking me why I don't ride a
fuel injected motorcycle, because of the book)...  And
I have a Euro market fuel tank that has a cutout for a
fuel level sender that could probably be adapted for a
small in-tank fuel pump...

For motorcycles, there needs to be a very good
algorithm/map for changes in Vbatt.  While newer
motorcycle typically use a regular car-type alternator
that charges at idle, older bikes use a stator and
rotating magnet setup (in most cases) that functions
like a generator...  Usually you have to rev to 3k or
more to get the system to charge, and at idle voltage
drops below 13.8v (which seems to be the typical
charging voltage when the electrical system is in good
shape).

I have a GM MAF sensor on the way, incidentally, and I
need to get with you about setting the data logger
board up for data acquisition for the flapper
replacement project.  Once I have everything dialed
in, I'll let you post the code for anyone else who
wants to replace an L-Jetronic (or equivalent, i.e.
Jaguar/Lucas, Mazda/ND, Kawasaki/ND, and Datsun/ND)
flapper with a hot-wire MAF.  We'll also need to talk
connectors.  Hit me up off-list and we'll coordinate.

Did you get a chance to look at any of the ion sensing
material I uploaded to the private file area on the
website?  I'm jazzed for DIY ion sensing!

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |