[Diy_efi] Project/temperature ranges

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Feb 27 17:01:36 UTC 2007

It seems like there are no simple standardized temperature ranges for
electronic components today, one must read the fine print of each
datasheet instead of just specifying for example "industrial".
There are many cases where "industrial" components are specified -25 ...
+85 ?C, for example. Some "commercial" components are specified 0 ...
+135 ?C , the reason for this is to allow more self heating and come
away with a simpler thermal design (smaller cooler etc).

There are many cases where manufacturers do their own tests on
components or complete systems to determine if they can safely be used
beyond the component manufacturer's spec. This is very common on
industrial PC motherboards today, as many motherboard components
(ethernet controllers, multi I/O chips, graphics controllers) are not
available in other than commercial temperature range. I have recently
seen an ethernet controller specified for 0 ... +65 ?C in a military
computer which is specified for -46 ... +49 ?C storage and -40 ... +75
?C operation. I know that both the manufacturer and the customer for
this PC has done extensive climate tests and found it to pass the tests.
In many cases, one can accept minor deviations from the datasheet's data
at -40 ?C, say for example that an amplifier for a car radio has
somewhat higher crossover distortion than specified. But the part must
not totally cease working at low temperatures, and must not be damaged
by running at extreme temperatures!

Many manufacturers uses to specify -25 ... +85 ?C or -40 ... +85 ?C for
general automotive electronics, but the maximum temperature is +110 ?C
for under-the hood components.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman