[Diy_efi] fuel return location

Oolan Zimmer ozimmer
Fri Jan 5 01:10:21 UTC 2007

Steven P. Donegan wrote:
> I have not seen/heard any reasons on where to return fuel to in the tank
> - unless otherwise informed I would assume anywhere is fine...
>

> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 19:33 -0500, Mike V wrote:
>
>> Related to this, is it okay to have the return line squirtin
>> the fuel in from the top of the tank, or should it be submerged
>> in the fuel?  I have a 1941 gas tank that I need to plumb a return lin into.
>> Cheers,
>>  MV

I can think of two reasons not to just squirt from the top of the tank:

1.  It will make fuel within the tank evaporate more readily because the
fuel-rail heated stream of fuel is traveling through air and then
splashing into the fuel at the bottom.

2.  If you have a baffled tank or a "tank within a tank", you want to
deposit fuel as close to the pickup as possible to keep the area near
the pump full of fuel, even under high acceleration.  If you deposit the
fuel on the wrong side of the baffles, it might take the fuel a while to
get to the pickup.  This is more of a concern with road course and
circle track cars that experience high lateral acceleration.  Dedicated
dragsters with the pickup at the back of the tank usually don't have to
worry about this one.

Oolan Zimmer