[Diy_efi] Donegan ECU

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Tue Jan 9 09:41:15 UTC 2007

--- "Steven P. Donegan" <donegan at donegan.org> wrote:

> needs a way to ... sense fuel temp in the rails?

Assuming a car with a remote tank, I would think this
would be not much of an issue.  If you were always
using the same fuel, and you were operating in cold
temps, you could better tailor fueling based on the
fuel's ability to vaporize with a given fuel and air
temp.  Other than that, I don't see any advantage for
cars.

For motorcycles, however...  The fuel tank lives
directly over and/or behind the engine in most cases,
and a lot of hot air from the radiator can warm the
tank (not in all bikes; still an issue in some);
further, the fuel lines are extremely short, and the
tank is of low capacity, meaning the cooling effect of
a large reservoir of fuel mounted remotely with long
lines is taken away for motorcycle use.

In any cause, I would think that knowing the vapor
pressure of the components of the fuel would be
required to make the most of this (or simply always
using the same fuel); I would guess that it would
probably make most sense to make a 2D map with IAT on
one axis and fuel temp on the other, since the
compensation for rate of vaporization will be strongly
affected by both fuel temp and intake temp.  Doing the
testing to develop such a map would definitely take
some doing; that said, it would be an interesting
option for folks to play around with if they were so
inclined.  I wouldn't go out of my way to include it, however.

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |