[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 23, Issue 4

Bill Washington bill.washington
Mon Jan 22 08:02:52 UTC 2007

The fuel pressure regulators/ which return excess fuel to the tank have
a reference/control line to the manifold to maintain a constant pressure
differential accross the injectors.
If you trust the pressure regulator, you have no need to monitor the
fuel pressure in the distribution manifold, unless you intend to vary
the pressure.
NOTE
     If you choose to measure the fuel pressure in the distribution
manifold, your measurement will be absolute, or relative to atmospheric
pressure depending on your sensor, however the fuel pressure will vary
with the fluctuating air pressure in the intake manifold .........

If you choose to vary the fuel pressure to increase the fuel flow range
available through a particular injector, be careful! -

    1. the injector spray pattern is set at a defined differential
pressure across the injector - some injectors may give you a range of
differential fuel pressures - it is wise to stay within the
manufacturer's spec to maintain a good spray pattern.
    2. If you choose to vary the fuel pressure use a variable regulator
so that you still retain the intake manifold pressure reference

Bill