[Diy_efi] way off topic - waterproof technology

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Wed Jan 24 22:21:49 UTC 2007

--- WSCowell at aol.com wrote:

> Awww come on guys, this just IS NOT TRUE.

> Air is 80% Nitrogen, about 19% Oxygen, and the rest
> is mostly rare gases like Argon, Neon, Krypton, etc
> with a trace of CO2.  There are no  "compounds" in
> air except 0.03% CO2 of course.

My bad on terminology.  I wanted to encompass
"molecules" and "compounds" with a single term.  I'm
well aware that most of air is made of molecules
composed of a single element.

> Gore-Tex is permeable to gaseous compounds and
> elements.

To a very small degree, much smaller than their
advertising would indicate.  All passage of gases
through Gore-Tex is, in fact, via osmosis.  Wind won't
come through.

> It is designed to be RESISTANT to the passage of
> water DROPLETS (not vapour).

The bare Teflon membrane should be completely
impervious to liquid water.  Contamination and wetting
of the exterior fabric contribute to this
"waterproofness" failing over time.

| Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)       Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (Velma)|
| M/C Fuel Inj. Hndbk. @ Amazon.com -  http://tinyurl.com/6o3ze |