[Diy_efi] NVRAM chip for a 1986 GM odometer?

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Tue Jul 10 22:26:33 UTC 2007

Indeed, GI made some obscure eeproms during the late 70's and 80's. One
common type was the ER1400, which was mainly used for saving tuning data
in televisions, car radios etc. It has a rudimentary serial interface,
definitely not so sophisticated and user-friendly as the SPI/Microwire
or I2C interfaces of more recent eeproms.
One common (and awkward) thing about old eeproms is that they often use
strange supply voltages and logic levels. I am not exactly sure, but i
think that the ER1400 needs +5 V, -40 V and possibly one more voltage
too. The logic levels are 0 V and -9 V.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman