[Diy_efi] Warm Start Problem

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e
Mon Jul 16 00:13:45 UTC 2007

--- Bill Washington <bill.washington at nec.com.au>
wrote:

> Mike,
>     To me this sounds reminiscent of a heat
> soak/fuel vaporisation problem.
> I would look at fuel distribution manifold temp, and
> also your low and
> high pressure pumps - if your high volume/low
> pressure pump (often in
> tank) has died the high pressure pump may not be
> able to supply enough
> fuel flow to clear a vapour lock in the manifold.

Most vehicles with EFI use the fuel to cool the
in-tank pump. Running around a lot with 1/4 tank or
less can lead to an overheated pump. Some cars have
an open-cell foam sleeve around the pump to wick fuel
up for cooling when the level is low but many just
use something like a corrugated "rubber" ring to
hold a small amount around the pump. It vaporises
then the pump gets hot until you make a hard enough
turn to slosh fuel over the pump.

It's expensive these days to keep the tank at least
half full, but it'll save the annoyance of having
your pump quit in the middle of nowhere- or the
middle of a busy intersection downtown.

P.S. What's weird is so many about-to-quit pumps
will conk out right after you fill the tank completely
full... dunno why but that's when every one of the
EFI pumps I've had fail has chosen to fail. That's
also happened to the majority of the people I know
who've had a pump quit. Maximizes the annoyance factor
of Murphy's Law!