[Diy_efi] Problem with TPS on aftermarket ecu

Mike niche
Fri Mar 30 05:30:46 UTC 2007

I can say that in the 25 years since I have been exposed to all sorts of
wiring on industrial and automotive I have seen similar issues on about
such 5 occasions on multistrand wires.

The most common is corrosion of the (multi strand) wire  without much
evidence externally except perhaps an almost imperceptible bulge. Breaks
in telecoms single strand are far more common however, I have lost
count of those.

I am guessing that the PVC polymer may not be totally homogenous and
during the moulding process some monomer may be trapped inside the
wire, the presence of heat, especially in automotives, might well cause the
vinyl chloride to release chlorine, attacking the wire forming Copper Chloride
and either higher resistance or a complete loss of continuity.

On older cars the PVC insulation hardens and cracks and in the engine
bay the corrosion seems to be sulphate based, I have seen a couple of
light blue dust from sharp edges of cables where it has cracked, I am guessing
that long exposure to battery gassing might have caused this,

So not so uncommon me thinks,

rgds

mike