[Diy_efi] Problem with TPS on aftermarket ecu

Ernest Buckler ebuckler
Thu Mar 29 18:55:08 UTC 2007

Damian,
Mostly I lurk and learn on this group, but on this subject I may have some
relevant experience, since you are looking for a non-obvious answer (having
covered all of those already, heh.)  A few years ago I was trouble-shooting
some intermittent sensor wiring, and got it down to one wire.  Connectors
were good on both ends, but still no continuity.  Frustrated, I broke that
wire out of the bundle, expecting to find a hidden break, but nothing
visible, argh!  Knowing that I was going to replace it anyway, I began
cutting into it in segments and testing each section, until I reduced the
non-continuous run to a span of a foot or so.  Then I stripped that section
inch by inch - to find a clean break in the solid copper strand, a perfectly
square cut, no damage visible even under magnification.  Meaning that it had
been mfgd that way, difficult as it seems that would have been.  I can
imagine that as-new continuity testing would have passed, since the ends
touched.

Anyway, I send this not as a likelihood, but merely as citation of a very
rare example.  So weird that I must proclaim my own present sanity [:oj and
restate the factual nature of the tale; I was an instrumentation tech at
Edwards AFB, so, while not an engineer by any stretch, I've got a pretty
good grasp of the basics.  Meaning that I know how unusual such a
discontinuity is.  But it did happen at least once.  Meaning that it could
happen again, even tho I've never heard of anyone else finding such an
anamoly:  Bad splices, loose crimps, hidden corrosion, yes, but never a
clean square shear INSIDE undamaged & unmarked insulation.

Ernie B.