[Diy_efi] Wires broken inside insulation

Mike niche
Fri Mar 30 07:43:50 UTC 2007

At 01:43 PM 3/30/07, you wrote:
>That's good to hear, Mike, thanks. Or is it bad news?  Glad I havn't run into more of it, heh.
>Ernie

mmm, Now that I think of it, the other likely failure mechanism relates to where the loom
is bundled and compressed where it passes through the firewall. On my model, there is a bunch
of wires from the various EFI sensors as well as drive lines to the injectors all bundled together
and about 150 to 200mm from the exhaust manifold and turbo. So on hard runs the hot air
from that is always passing over this tight bundle, imaging that the PVC breaks down and
thin cracks start to appear, then imagine the first rains and puddles throw up water and
it seeps its way into the cracks.

One wonders if this might allow the pulses and back emf from the injectors to find a path
to the analog sensor cables, especially if the copper chloride/copper sulphate as a result
of corrosion is moistened,

This might well explain odd things my ECU does as it sometimes acts as if the AFM is
out of whack, ie Trips the ECU to overfuel - which is a common issue with the Bosch/Hitachi
ECU on a 20 year old car, <sigh>

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VK/VL Commodore Fuse Rail panel that wont warp, twist or melt, guaranteed  !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au