[Diy_efi] Good insulation tubing recommendation

Ernest Buckler ebuckler
Fri Mar 30 14:05:07 UTC 2007

> mmm, Now that I think of it, the other likely failure mechanism relates to
> where the loom
> is bundled and compressed where it passes through the firewall. On my
> model, there is a bunch
> of wires from the various EFI sensors as well as drive lines to the
> injectors all bundled together
> and about 150 to 200mm from the exhaust manifold and turbo. So on hard
> runs the hot air
> from that is always passing over this tight bundle, imaging that the PVC
> breaks down and
> thin cracks start to appear,

To insulate wiring and small hoses in hot areas I've been making good use of
the stuff used to double-insulate spark plug wires, fiberglass sleeving in
silicon rubber.  Most autoparts stores are beginning to  handle the stuff
now, not expensive. A friend who runs a car at Bonneville turned me on to
it.  Diesel injector and turbo rebuild shops also handle it, or something
similar.
Ernie