[Diy_efi] [slightly ot] Differential Pressure Measurement gauge, alternatives ?

ian spyro
Fri Sep 7 02:08:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 18:38 -0700, Rick McLeod wrote:
> Nope. I wasn't assuming that, just suggesting to monitor w/ an
>  electronic vs. mechanical/electrical apperatus.

oh yeah. was intending to use electronics for control - after all - if
Im going to PWM an pump or a solenoid it makes no sense to use a
machanical method :)

> A couple presure transducers, handful of resistors and caps, couple
>  741's (I'm showing my age here) and a LCD bargraph (analog input) and
>  good to go,

It occurs to me that I could take some load off the pump I use by using
a sealable water reservoir and fitting a (small!) pipe from the plenum
to the reservoir to presurise it (need a sturdy reservoir though).
probably a good idea to put a nonreturn valve in there too or I might
find the thing getting sucked upon / collapsing during negative boost
conditions...

Hmm.

Ok, Im going to need...

1) reservoir
2) pump
3) hose
4) nozzle (metal, withotu parts that can fall into the plenum)
5) solenoid capable of PWM
6) pressure hose so that I can finally fit my dashboard boost guage
(need to measure stuff before and after!)
7) pressure sensor to measure plenum pressure
8) small PWM circuit to drive solenoid
9) pressure regulator valve to control 'rail' pressure of the water

optional:

10) peltier cooler to chill water entering the rail (remember, it
recirculates so the water in the reservoir will chill more and more over
time)
11) plenum temp sensor (air temp sensor)

Most of thats simpe to sort.

anyone who can recommend a nice quick responding temperature sensor to
measure plenum air temp, it'd be appreciated.

actually, I might go for an electronic boost guage and ditch my
pneumatic one - its easier to hook up to a data logger.

also recommendations for a nice adjustable pressure return valve
suitable for water use it'd be appreciated...