[Diy_efi] The so called "Noid" lights ?

Bobby Yates Emory liberty1
Mon Sep 10 02:36:29 UTC 2007

Mike,

I made one - I measured the resistance of the injector - then a small light
- I added resistors to make the resistance similar.  I wired it in in place
of the injector.  It seemed to work - it would light up about when I thought
it it should.

It seemed to work - but I never got the car running - so I'm not sure this
is a good idea.

Bobby

On 9/9/07, Mike <niche at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Over here in Oz, a "Noid" light seems to be just a simple LED
> which goes in parallel with the injector, its a tool to verify the ECU
> is driving its injector output and that the signal is getting as far
> as the injector, ie All the way through the loom.
>
> You basically, unplug the injector connector and plug in the Noid
> light intot he injector and the injector connector into the noid so
> the noid is "inline" to the injector, when the injector is driven the
> light is supposed to come on.
>
> My question is,
>
> Is this just a basic light or are there any inline type testers like this
> that
> are any more sophisticated ?
>
> I'm not complicating this at present with any Duty cycle issues, just
> wishing
> to find out if people are using anything more sophisticated than a simple
> LED for their inline injector testing ?
>
> Regards
>
> Mike
>

> At 02:35 AM 9/10/07, you wrote:
> >Im not exactly sure what you are looking for, but this little tester is
> very
> >cool.  Its a dual led test light.  Magnetic pickups can light the leds in
> >this.  Its a pretty helpful little test light.
> >http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=248
> >
> >You could try searching "injector pulse width meter" Not too much comes
> up
> >but i think this is more what your lookin for. Besides these, i cant
> think
> >of anything besides an oscilloscope.
> >
> >On 9/9/07, Mike <niche at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi chaps,
> >>
> >> Nice to see some activity here re logging, a subject in itself, I have
> >> idea for small cheapie
> >> logger and finally pinned down an enclosure/connector combo, but its
> not
> >> USB, just serial
> >> but would work for the most part with the cheapie usb to serial
> >> adaptors...
> >>
> >> Anyway, i digress...
> >>
> >> I'm on http://www.calaisturbo.com.au  from time to time as "Niche" -
> funny
> >> that...!
> >>
> >> And some people use "Noid" lights to test they have drive to the
> >> injectors, which is (as far
> >> as I understand) just a LED light in a moulding which is pluggable
> inline
> >> with the loom
> >> to the injector at the actual injector. So you can see it blink when
> >> cranking etc...
> >>
> >> I'm interested to know if anyone has a "noid" like type tester or item
> >> which does any more
> >> than just light up an LED when the driver wants to turn on the injector
> ?
> >>

> >> Regards from
> >>

> >> Mike
> >> Perth, Western Australia
> >> VK/VL Commodore Fuse Rail panel that wont warp, twist or melt,
> [...]

Toward freedom,

Bobby Yates Emory