[Diy_efi] water injection

Adam Wade espresso_doppio
Fri Sep 28 06:07:35 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "ian" <spyro at f2s.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:35 AM
Subject: RE: [Diy_efi] water injection

> no. compression ignition doesnt imply knock. in fact, a diesel will
> have
> a nice, constant burn as fuel is injected.

The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, by Charles
Fayette Taylor:  Volume 2: Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design.  pg.
95:

"In practice, most diesel engines have a rate of pressure rise
sufficiently high to cause audible noise.  When such a noise becomes
excessive in the opinion of the observer, the engine is said to
'detonate' or 'knock'.  It is evident that personal judgment is here
involved.  Thus, in the compression-ignition engine there is no
definite distinction between normal and 'knocking' combustion.  It is
merely a question of whether or not the rate of pressure rise is high
enough to cause, in someone's judgment, objectionable noise or
excessive vibration in the engine's structure."

> My engine is turbo'd. cooling the air will result in a denser air
> charge, and thus more power under boost.

A diesel will only make more power under boost when all of the
available incoming air is used in combustion, i.e. at a very high
power level.  In a street-driven vehicle, I would expect more power to
be forthcoming from a diesel only when the pedal is mashed to the
floor, and possibly not even that depending on road speed and gear
selection.

|    Kawasaki Zephyr 615 (Daphne)     1985 RX-7 GSL-SE (Rex)    |
|    didn't matter what race or class the victims belonged to.  |
|               had come up again." -Kurt Vonnegut              |
|  Motorcycle Fuel Injection Hndbk. - http://tinyurl.com/2v5o97 |