[Diy_efi] Diesel EFI?

Mike niche
Thu Nov 18 15:03:33 UTC 2010

Hi and welcome to the group,

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve overall:-

a. Experience with EFI in general ?
or
b. Improve performance and economy ?

or a combination of both - which is more important to you ?

Each of these come with a price and a time versus capital cost issue,

My electronic engineering thesis in 1982 was EFI with integrated transmission control
and that was pretty ambitious at the time, the university's (max) $50 subsidy was exceeded
by $1150 and although I managed to get a console running it fell short of expectations
after 18 months.

Now I have more experience in things like time management etc, I wouldnt want to tackle
converting a mechanical diesel system to electronic - if you do want to do it, will the outcome
be justified in terms of time and cost ? The hardware for the high pressures diesel operate
under is not trivial. If you are looking to improve efficiency and perhaps alter the fuel source
to perhaps use biodiesel then it would still be mostly an educational exercise. The nature of
a (mechanical) diesel allows it to accommodate a wide range of fuels provided the cetane
rating is comparable to the engine design criteria.

Water injection is being used successfully to improve diesel efficiency and reduce peak
bearing loads but a sizable amount of water is necessary, propane injection in conjunction
with diesel is also being trialled to ameliorate some diesel deficiencies.

But I wouldnt be keen on the complexities and possible dangers of changing mechanical
injection to electronic injection - can you get injectors and pumps for that sort of pressure
at a reasonable price ?

Although we have concerns about long term petroleum supplies, petrol and alcohol will
still be around for at least a couple of decades at a price that is still *today* lower than it
was in real terms than the 1975 energy crisis...  In any case liquid fuels will be around
for a long time to come, ie After petrol, then alcohol, LPG etc As the energy delivery
infrastructure is vast and not likely to shift that quickly to CNG or LPG, especially so,
since other forms of liquid fuel are coming on stream...

So some idea of your expected outcome and why you are going down that path would be of interest ?

Regards

Mike

At 08:10 PM 11/18/2010, you wrote:

>Guys, this is my first post to this list!
>
>I have been reading most of it for a couple of years now

>I have an old Toyota Diesel truck so I was unable to work on an EFI project (it has the mechanical injection pump).
>
>Recently I was thinking about 2 options, one is changing the pump to a common rail setup, and then put in an EFI system that controls the Injectors.
>2nd option is getting a new Toyota D4D engine (without the ECU) and adding an EFI system to it.
>
>I was thinking about MegaSquirt, as the last V3 is supposed to be able to provide sequential Injector signal
 Is it enough for a Diesel?