[Diy_efi] Diesel EFI?

Avery Nisbet anisbet
Thu Nov 25 23:34:57 UTC 2010

This is where the fun stuff starts.
Research:

Most diesel EFI tech is owned by Bosch. This leads the manufactures to
either buy or license from them. Most of the injectors and sensors
should at the very least be very similar. What injectors and timing
sensors does the Toyota use.  They may be Bosch units based on the
same ECU the VW engines use.

See if you can get the data/spec sheets for the injectors and the
timing sensors.
The Manufacture's repair manuales will also be very helpful.  If you
see anything from Diesel Kiki on the Toyota its probably Bosch
licensed stuff.

Whats ilegal about the VW engine in Israel?  I know they sell the TDI
engines in cars there.  Is it changing the engine in the truck that
the government doesn't like?

In california (arguably the most strict on emissions and engine swaps)
  its do able but the engine must be from a newer car/light truck and
using a diesel engine from model year later than 97 or 98 is much
harder because all emission equipment must follow the engine.

Researching every possible avenue will help this project greatly.
Having a plan A, B and C will make you much more likely to have a
successful and fun project.

Also posting what signals are needed to drive these injectors and some
of the fueling/timing strategy will greatly improve our knowledge.

A few on this mailing list have built their own ECU's from the ground
up.   This is hopefully a worst case scenario but it can be done and
you will learn a lot from it.

-Avery