[Diy_efi] Brake pad spacers (sorry off topic but in need of help)

Dan dzorde
Sun Oct 24 06:38:11 UTC 2010

Bit of feedback since there have been a few questions.

The car is a daily driver?(well more like a few times a week now)?doubling as
weekend club level race car.
After?pulling a caliper and having a closer examination, I realised the calipers
actually have pad stops built in which means?I can never get the extra length
out of them I wanted.
So, the whole idea is off. Kinda should have had?the second look and think
before I sent the email.
Basically when I'm down to 1/4" pad, I'll just have to move the pads to the
front of the car and fit new ones in the rear. Yes same caliper front and rear,
before someone asks.

So thanks for the healthy feedback.

Cheers Dan

----- Original Message ----
From: Dan <dzorde at yahoo.com>
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Sent: Sat, October 23, 2010 12:58:14 PM
Subject: [Diy_efi] Brake pad spacers (sorry off topic but in need of help)

Hi all,

Sorry to be off topic, but I know the members of this list hold a wealth of
information on general automotive ideas.
Anyway, problem is my rear?calipers (4 piston fixed mount) are made for thicker
disks than I'm using (like 8mm thicker). So I want to space the pads to take out

some of the gap.
Sooo, has anyone ever just made a spacer that extends the piston length
(machined with a collar to sit in the end of it), rather than use a solid plate
spacer ?
In my case it is much faster to just turn up? 8x piston bungs instead of 4x
spacer plates.
The plan was to not have them solid on the end, but more like a very thick piece

of ally pipe (these are 1.75" pistons).
So any pros / cons for this ?
Expansion issues of the ally bungs in the piston, I could machine them slightly
smaller than the piston insides and hold them in place with an o-ring so they
don't rattle,

Cheers

Dan

? ? ?