[Diy_efi] [Gmecm] Failing Calif SMOG

Avery Nisbet anisbet
Wed Aug 31 18:26:14 UTC 2011

I have never herd of not testing for NoX.  I thought it was the great
evil that the EPA said caused smog.

But yes you have another 4 cylinder that ECM is not correcting for.
Putting the O2 sensor before the cat will average the signal between
the two banks.  The now un-sampled side will become more lean but not
perfect.  The current sampled side will run richer but not a lot.
Think of them just balancing each other out.  As long as there are no
terrible problems such as an injector dumping 75% more fuel in than it
should, The average will get you to pass smog again.  Your numbers
being close to passing shows that you probably don't have a big issue
the ECM is just not seeing that other bank.  One or two of the
injectors on that side are probably flowing a small percentage higher
than expected.   Which the ECM could compensate for if it could sample
that air..

-Avery