[Diy_efi] [Gmecm] Failing Calif SMOG

Avery Nisbet anisbet
Wed Aug 31 21:57:03 UTC 2011

[Adding diy_efi back again please use reply to all.  There are a lot
of people on this list that know a hell of a lot more than I do about
this.]

Yes,  As long as you can also get high counts of the O2 sensor
crossings from lean to rich(at idle/fast idle and highway cruze). This
is the true test to see if your getting a solid 14.7 AFR.   Which Im
assuming you are getting right now.

Looking back at the CO numbers you were a little over 200% of the
allowed value.  I wish I knew what that ment in volume of fuel or
Air/fuel ratio.

How old are your injectors?  If you don't feel like running new wires
right now.  Try swapping all your injectors from the left bank to the
right bank.  Im not sure what intake you have so this could be pretty
easy or pretty hard.

This would cause the possible higher flowing injectors to be measured
by the O2 sensor.   If the ECU can still get good BLM's and O2 sensor
crossing after you do this you may pass smog or fail it based on a
lean issue.  Then moving the sensor to the collector will make it
pass.

What part of California are you in?  I'm in the SF bay area and I have
a wide band O2 sensor + an ostrich emulator.

-Avery

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Roger and Carol <rogerancarol at cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> terrible problems such as an injector dumping 75% more fuel in than it
> should, The average will get you to pass smog again. ?Your numbers
> being close to passing shows that you probably don't have a big issue
> the ECM is just not seeing that other bank. ?One or two of the
> injectors on that side are probably flowing a small percentage higher
> than expected. ? Which the ECM could compensate for if it could sample
> that air..
>

> -Avery
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Avery Nisbet <anisbet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Adding Diy-efi back to the CC line.
>>
>> -Avery
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Roger and Carol <rogerancarol at cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about not including my HC numbers. Also, NOX is not tested in my
>>> area,
>>> so none to report.
>>>
>>> HC at idle measured 21 ppm, well within the limit of 120 ppm. HC at "high
>>> idle" (2635 RPM) measured 45 ppm, also well within the limit of 180 ppm.
>>> In past years, CO has averaged .00% at both idle and high idle., and HC
>>> has
>>> averaged 16 ppm at both idle and high idle. Looking at old logs I've made
>>> of
>>> BLM's show an average of 130, depending on RPM/MAP. Again, confirming
>>> that
>>> the engine has been biased slightly lean since the install, but corrected
>>> by
>>> the ECM.
>>>
>>> My exhaust uses a cross-over, converging on the passenger side, just in
>>> front of the CAT. My O2 sensor is located in the driver's side manifold,
>>> per
>>> requirements of my SMOG Ref (this is an engine conversion into a Jeep);
>>> the
>>> configuration equals a 1995 Chevy 1500, with manual trans.
>>> I've contemplated a second O2 sensor in the passenger-side down pipe, but
>>> access in that area is extremely limited. Placing it in the collector
>>> below
>>> where the two banks come together would most likely change my "symptoms",
>>> causing all cylinders to be leaned-out due to something going on with the
>>> right bank.
>>> To me, this raise the question regarding PROM tuning for older
>>> cars/trucks
>>> that have only one O2 sensor mounted on one bank. If you tune for the
>>> bank
>>> with the sensor, what ever base data you log could be in error, causing
>>> your
>>> tune to incorrect, as far as the engine goes.
>>>
>>> Anyway, obviously the "engineers" thought that as well, since most OBD II
>>> vehicles use two, or more, O2 sensors. In fact, in my case, the '94 Truck
>>> with auto trans uses one sensor in the collector after the "Y" pipe
>>> connection. But the PCM has a much higher baud rate than the ECM. Don't
>>> know
>>> if that affects whether you can put the ECM's sensor after the "y" pipe,
>>> or