[Diy_efi] Flood of Humvee 6.2L diesel engines on ebay.

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck
Tue Jun 21 14:51:57 UTC 2011

I'm no diesel expert, but I picked up a 6.2 powered truck - a basket case - a while back and am working to put together a truck for my son. Here's what I've found in my research:

The military 6.2l injection pumps were mechanical, but the solenoids were 24V instead of 12V. The pump may need to be rebuilt or resealed anyway, and I've seen the 12V solenoid sets on ebay too. It could all be done at one time.

The 6.2L (and the follow-on 6.5L) was a ground-up design where GM had Detroit Diesel build a light-duty V8 diesel - it is not the same as the converted-from-olds-gasser-block 350. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine .

>From what I have seen while looking for cheap rebuild parts, I'd say it's probably more in line with non-chevy v8's than with the other pickup diesels you find out there - Cummins, power stroke, etc. But I guess it depends on what you buy and from whom, too.

Some folks complain the roosamaster injection pump doesn't last as long as the pump on a Cummins or a powerstroke, but it doesn't cost as much to have it rebuilt, either.

HTH,
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Avery Nisbet
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 5:58 PM
To: Do It Yourself fuel injection
Subject: [Diy_efi] Flood of Humvee 6.2L diesel engines on ebay.

I think this has been happening over the last few years or so.

Do these engines have electronically controlled injection pumps?  Or
seeing as the Humvee has been in production since the early 80's are
they full mechanical?
If electronically controlled which GM ECM's will work?

Relating the the langth of Humvee production how diffrent are these
engine from the Olds v8 that killed the Diesel market in the US?

Also most are listed as needing a rebuild. Is this going to be a
extremely expensive or is it much like a normal GM V8 rebuild plus
slightly more expensive bearings and piston rings?

Thanks

-Avery