[Diy_efi] Affordable OBDII tuning solution ?

Avery Nisbet anisbet
Sat Feb 25 02:14:08 UTC 2012

The problem is that ODBII only covers data that the government
requires.  So the OEM's can add tons of non standard things with extra
stuff on top of it.  They all have their own boot loaders and security
schemes. Some use RSA encryption. The EPA could sue the pants off of
any car company that made it too easy to flash a new "tune" on to a
highway going car. They could also disallow them to import cars into
the US.

There are some cars that are easy though.
There was some open or free EFI project that supports Subaru and
Mitsubishi ECU's.

Start here --> http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102607

There are now lot of knock off cables that work.  A buddy with a WRX
wagon got his setup for less than $50.  Then paid $50 or $100 for a
canned tune.  He put an after market down pipe and an after market
pipe between the head and turbo.  The tune really woke it up.  And it
was really easy to apply.  He plugged his cable into the car and a
pigtail(paper clip) that unlocked the ECU. Ran that romraider software
and backed up the original tune.  Then uploaded the new canned tune.

I think the Mk4 and some Mk5 VW/audi stuff is known but no one is
sharing with me.

-Avery