[Diy_efi] Projects

Carter Shore clshore
Sun Oct 14 13:40:46 UTC 2012

?
Carter
?

--- On Sat, 10/13/12, Fred Cooke <fred.cooke at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Fred Cooke <fred.cooke at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Projects
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Date: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 4:14 PM

Which escort exactly? And where are you? :-)

The yanks have an escort with a horrible engine and a Mazda body shell.

The pohms got the original two awesome RWD escorts (the real deal) and later Mazda based stuff. Us kiwis got the same as the pohms :-)

In any case, you don't need EDIS to run ignition without a distributor and with Mega$quirt. You can fit a wide variety of crank and/or cam triggers to the engine and run the coils directly. However, when using MS2Extra (which is a good choice, if you go Mega$quirt at all), EDIS will give better ignition accuracy. It's way better than any MS1 unit can produce, too. Having said that, MS2Extra accuracy is "good enough" by a large margin, so, back to the first sentence, you don't need EDIS on a four cylinder with MS2Extra. It can do COP or wasted spark AND sequential with 3.X firmwares and appropriately butchered hardware.

If you're feeling adventurous you could also use FreeEMS to run it, though your options are much narrower with that.

Got a picture of the car itself? Or just the MK if it's UK market style :-)

Regards,

Fred.