[Diy_efi] Stepper Motor to drive mechaical speedo

bhu678 at gmail.com bhu678
Mon Oct 15 02:15:23 UTC 2012

Try looking at a modern 'analog' gauge.  They're mostly digital with
only the analog needle left from days gone by.  I'm currently looking at
using a speedo and tach from a '95 Maxima to drive the old analog faces
in my '74 260Z.  If you rlly want to spin your old school speedo, use a
Mabuchi slot car motor w/ a PWM speed controller on it, DC motors are
made for spinning fast.  Stepper motors don't spin, they step.  They're
made for precision movement, not speed.  Anyway, use a freq. to volts
converter to read the driveshaft speed, then use volts to pulsewidth to
drive the DC motor.

Scott B